Friday, May 1, 2015

African Americans in America Do Not Have the Same Opportunity

https://youtu.be/_Xf7myMyOcM

Big ups to Dr Phil! A few years ago I would disagree with Dr Phil, but after living in America for a while and experiencing their education system, I have realized that a fair chance has not been given to African-Americans. Some teachers expect you to fail because of your skin color. They dont even give you a chance. They have this pre-conceived notion that you are inferior because of the color of your skin. I thank God for being brought up in the Jamaican education system where I had teachers who gave me a "superior" education using little or no resources. They worked wonders for me and my classmates and boosted my self-confidence and just constantly showered their classes with words of motivation, hope and yet challenging us to always strive for the best. Many African-American, Latino and other minority students I have met do not have this confidence. They have very low self esteem and only expect to attain mediocrity: mediocre jobs, mediocre standards of living and the list goes on. Lets stop pretending that this is not happening. Lets address the problem and do something about it.
Let me end by giving a lot of praise to my American teachers who are white and did not treat me any lesser because of my skin color. I did not have the same experience with all teachers but much respect to those who went the extra mile!